Haddonfield Township Municipal Court

Borough of Audubon Municipal Bldg.
606 W. Nicholson Road
Audubon, NJ 08106
Office Hours: Weekdays 9:00am - 4:00pm
Municipal Court Hours: Every Monday at 9:00am (Except Federal Holidays)
Judge: Honorable Charles Shimberg
Haddonfield Municipal Court Administrator: Jean Phillips, CMCA
Cases: Traffic offenses and related matters.
Municipal Court Website: http://www.haddonfieldnj.org/departments/municipal_court/index.php
Online Ticket Payments: http://judiciary.state.nj.us/
Tel: 856-547-0712
Fax: 856-310-0825

About Haddonfield, NJ

Note: Haddonfield and Aubudon Municipal courts merged in 2011. The prosecutor from Audubon is handling both courts, as is the judge. Haddonfield is a borough in Camden County, NJ, with a population of about 11,600 according to the 2000 U.S. Census. Haddonfield was incorporated on April 6, 1875, within portions of Haddon Township. The borough separated from Haddon Township to become an independent municipality in 1894.

Haddonfield was the second municipality in New Jersey (after Cape May) to establish a historical preservation district. Although the sale of liquor has been forbidden since 1873, it was at Haddonfield's Indian King Tavern, in the winter of 1777, that the New Jersey General Assembly met and declared New Jersey a free and independent state.

In July 2008, New Jersey Monthly magazine ranked Haddonfield as the 100th best place to live in New Jersey in its annual 2008 ranking of New Jersey communities.


How to Handle Your Citation

If you are issued a ticket or citation by a police officer for any type of motor vehicle violation (e.g., speeding, parking, use of a cell phone while driving, fender bender, injury accident, driving under the influence, etc.) you will have to deal with the municipal traffic court that has jurisdiction over the place where the incident occurred.

Accepting Your Citation

If you believe that the citation issued to you by the police officer was warranted, you do not have to appear before a judge in municipal traffic court. You only have to arrange payment to the court prior to the payment due date that is written on the citation. Note that failure to pay on or before this date can have serious legal or financial consequences.

Payment Options

Each municipal traffic court maintains its own calendar of hearings. If you decide to plead guilty to the offense, it is not necessary for you to appear before the court. You do have to arrange to pay the fine before the due state. You generally have two payment options.

Pay by Mail

Send a check or money order to the address printed on your citation. Do not send cash.

Pay in Person

Again, you can pay using a check or money order, although cash or debit/credit cards might be an option. It is a good idea to call the office of the appropriate municipal traffic court in advance to verify business hours and discuss the types of acceptable payment methods.

Pay Online

A possible third option, this allows you to pay your fine using a debit or credit card. It is not offered by all local municipal traffic courts at this time, so call to ask if this option is available.

Contesting Your Citation

If you would like to contest your citation, you must schedule an appearance before the judge. Again, each municipal traffic court sets its own days and hours of business, so call ahead to verify these and to schedule your appearance. It is best to call as soon as possible because dockets can fill up fast.

Failure to Comply

If you fail to pay your citation or do not make an appointment to contest your citation, you may be subject to other fines and penalties that can be imposed by the judge. These can include additional legal charges, additional fees, suspension or loss of your driver's license, and perhaps the possibility of incarceration.

When to Contact an Attorney

Personal Injury. If you or any person in your vehicle or any other person in another involved vehicle or a bystander believes an injury has been incurred during the incident, whether that injury be minor or major.

Driving Under the Influence. If you had been drinking alcohol or taking drugs (including prescription medications) in the period leading up to the incident or if you believe a person from any other involved vehicle might have been under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the incident.

Substantial Damage. If there has been substantial damage to your vehicle or any other involved vehicle or vehicles, or if there is minor or major damage to other property (e.g., hitting a utility pole or tree, crashing through a fence or other barrier, or running into a building, etc.).